26 September 2007

got mead?

El Batcho Numero Uno. Batch the First. Zee Ertsten Batchenheit. Gruppo Uno di Mead-olio.

The quickie bottlings I did the other weekend of Batches #2 and #3 (test batches, mind you) I hereby declare didn't count. These, they're gonna sit for a while, relax, condition, etc. etc. I definitely noticed a difference between the taste of the initial bottlings (test bottlings, we'll say) a month ago, and what resulted after it sitting around was much improved. So I'm gonna do more of that.

And as I racked batches 4 and 7 tonight, I tasted the same kinds of things - it's very "young". Raw. Surely lots of yeasties floating around in it.

The good news? Well, I think I'd have a different opinion of #1 if I hadn't brought some to the Pesto Party. Turns out Jeff's friend (and Cheryl's co-worker?) Colleen is an experienced amateur meader, and I couldn't stop picking at her brain all afternoon - we talked shop, likely to the extreme annoyance of bystanders. While I don't ever think we got to the bottom of that question about legislative action vs. judicial precedence, we did find out that we have tons of beer, outdoor-sey, and opinionated things in common, so chances are better than average that we'll run into each other at a local pub and get to revisit the question. Of course, if there's beer involved, I really wonder whether we'll get anywhere on the topic then, either. What with all the yak-yak-yak that I seem to indulge in, not to mention Georgina's enabling enthusiasm for conversational dynamics.

While I think that Colleen's and my tastes are wildly divergent (I like the sweeter and she likes the dryer ones), she had encouraging things to say about #1. If her sincerity was affected because of my "well, here's the first batch... I think it might suck buuuut...." or if she truly liked it, the effect is the same when positive comments come from people with more experience than I have. I feel ok about my first efforts, and since it's fun fussing with the whole thing, I'm not planning stopping any time soon.

Oh yeah, and I end up with a bunch o' hooch at the end... there's that going for me.

So... the bad news. Batches #5 and #6 just don't seem to be doing anything anymore. I thought they might be done with primary fermenting, but when I stuck my nose in the carboy, they still smelled really sweet, and there was only the tiniest amount of lees in the bottom. These, of course would be the batches that I screwed up the proportions on - they had an original gravity off the scale, meaning > 1.200, which = "way too much". I'm actually wondering if the yeasties didn't just... give up (imagine the chorus of 100 million little yeast bacteria bemoaning "geez, there's just way too much sugar to work on in here, I quit.") Regardless, it'll give it another try tomorrow - another yeast starter going, I'll dilute the batches in half, pitch some more yeast in, and see if it can't get going again.

3 comments:

Zoe the Wonder Dog said...

Hey, I'm more than a mere conversational enabler! I'm an instigator, conspirator, facilitator, director, contrarian...


Mmmm... mead. I liked the "medium" mead -- definite sweetness but not cloying.

Daye said...

did you do any spiffy flavors?? I talked w/ Kirk of Coleman Farmer's Market fame & he assures me that ONE hive will sustain us quite nicely for all the honey we need. He has eight healthy hives and harvested over 8000 POUNDS THIS YEAR!!! crazy!

biscodo said...

My next batch I think will be spiced. I picked up a bunch of lemongrass, cloves, coriander, etc, and am waiting for vessels to be available for the next batch to begin. At the moment, most of my glassware is conditioning batches. One more racking and then it'll be into bottles.

Mostly I've been experimenting with different local honeys and yeast types. The difference Dr. Sabbatical mentions above (the "medium" she liked) was the same honey type and proportion (same Must batch) as the cloying one, but I pitched a Montrachet yeast instead of a Champagne yeast. Made it more winey, less sweet.

Are you suggesting that your garden o' bounty might include a hive or two at some point in the future?