25 February 2008

gobble, gobble

My book list has been full of non-fiction lately - dry stuff that I put there because it would "be good for me." Things I've always wondered about, things I should know more about. Well, it's been slow-going.

Thus the sudden immediate contrast when I picked up Life of Pi. Immediately engaging, and it kept me up until 3:30 last night. You've surely heard of it, and if you haven't read it yet, you should look for it. Delightful. A little rough for kids because it's about a tiger (that, by its nature, bites and claws and rips flesh), but young teens by now have surely seen or read greater violence just by watching TV.

It's supposedly being made into a movie, but I have no hopes for that. I don't think the depth of the adventure will translate well. But in the meantime, it's a great little book to gobble up in a night or two.

Yum.

No comments: