30 October 2006

[not] supporting the habit

You might recall that I have a problem with TV. Something I saw recently explains some of the more subconscious aspects of it, which make quite a bit of sense about how TV attracts ones attention.

I'm not going to go and dump the TV, since I don't think that's a solution, for a couple of reasons:
- It's more likely to just replace one habit with an other. The actual behavior is somewhat independent of the object. It's more of a tendency to overindulge than the indulgence itself.
- And I think that it is important to be aware of popular culture (i.e. what's on TV). I don't endorse, or agree with, or engage in, lots of aspects of pop culture, but being aware of it is important to being informed citizens. I don't watch American Idol, but I know what it is. I don't care for baseball, but it'd be better to avoid downtown Detroit traffic when the Tigers were playing World Series games instead of blundering into a traffic jam and wondering "hmm, I wonder what's going on downtown?"

No comments: