30 June 2007

Dexter Crit race

Well, a big old lukewarm is what I've got for you, dear readers.

Felt ok-ish, stayed in it near the front, didn't crash, didn't crash anyone out, but didn't bring the cheese home, either.

No great mysteries either - the crux of the biscuit was in the last lap, halfway through the lap, going up the hill before the downhill S-curve and straightaway finish. Fairly obvious spot to put on the oomph for the finish, and I even thought about it during the warmup laps. I knew it, but blew it. I'm the kind of guy that doesn't have a whole lot of "pop" - it takes me a while to wind up to full speed. So since there's not a lot of passing in the S-curve, and the straightaway is pretty short, I probably should've started pushing earlier up the hill instead of responding to other people making moves and watching them from behind.

Aaaaanyway... mid-pack finish for me on a field of 20-25 dudes - and now I know now - I need to remember to go early, go often. (er.... ok, maybe just early).

All in all, it was fun. Me likey.

There ain't nothin' going on in MI for a while until the Ada Crit... might have to go to Ohio for racey-poo. (or, maybe I should go see what that track thing is all about) Then again, there's Death Ride in a few weeks... maybe instead of working on fast, I should work on putting on distance and that up-the-mountain thing. Bah. Whatever. The wheels-on-the-bike-go-round-and-round...

No comments: