26 June 2007

preparing to...

... I don't know, have something to say? (bizarre, yes, but bear with me)

You see, last night I made my virtual way over to the sign up spot for the Dexter Crit and, along the way, to USA Cycling (to get that license thingie). So I'm committed. In shape or not, psyched or not.
Saturday, me be racin'.

So though I've been putting miles in all season, it's all been friendly group ride miles. You know, where etiquette matters and smooth and polite is the order of the day (town sign sprints excepted, of course). So... I figure I better get my fast-n-hard-cornerin' brain in the mood, so I went to the Velo Club crit practice last week and this week. Last week, I was feeling like a punk because I couldn't hang on when the speed cranked up in the last lap or two. This week, the same. But it's a mixed group of people, everyone from newish dudes like me to Cat1/2s. So I wasn't the first to fall off, I'll say. And that if you're not in the lead group going into the finish, it seems that folks are calm and don't exactly sprint for 6th. (it's a practice race, ya know...)

So what's my point in all this? Well, since this is the first race I've entered in... 12 years? (yikes) ... I have NO IDEA what to expect out of the Cat5 race. Compared to riding with the big-lung/big-leg dudes? I guess I'll be preparing to say:

a) how surprised I was at how slow the race was
b) how surprised I was at how fast the race was
c) how good I felt (if I did well)
d) how badly I felt (if I did poorly)
e) all of the above

Am I nervous? Yeah, sure. Am I worried? No, I guess not (worried about what?) Anxious? Sure.

Hell, I could go 'round and 'round for hours like this. I need to quit thinking like it's life-or-death. It's just ridin' a bike around town, goin' hard and tryin' to do it harder and faster than other dudes.

Right?

3 comments:

Zoe the Wonder Dog said...

Right. What are you worried about? Ride fast, don't crash.

Oh wait, you're not worried about such silliness as crashing or puking at the finish line, you just don't know which jersey to wear :)

biscodo said...

Well, I wasn't going to say anything about crashing 'cause it might be jinx-worthy. But since you started it... the crit practice last night had two seperate crashes. Minor scrapes, but I'm wondering - does that suggest that the crashes are out of the way and Saturday will be safe? Or that the crashfest is just getting warmed up? Blah. TMO. (Too Much Overthinking)

Puking at the finish? Not likely. While waiting at the start line, maybe, but I can't imagine myself *that* nervous. Strong stomach, remember? And for the record, they DO have rules about what you cannot wear in a race. (https://www.usacycling.org/forms/RdTrkCx_rulebook.pdf section 1L)

Zoe the Wonder Dog said...

I meant puking from exertion, not nerves. While I have seen evidence to counter your claims to a strong stomach, Mr. Noro-virus-getter, I can't imagine you that nervous, either. I can, however, imagine you pushing yourself to your physicals limits.

And what is this talk of jinxes? Geez, next thing I know you're going to be reading your horoscope trying to discern your racing fate.

Okay, truth be told, I already checked -- Yahoo horoscopes had nothing useful to offer :)