22 May 2008

sometimes...

I was over at a friend's house tonight at our weekly board game night with a bunch of folks. Loud, boisterous, fun. A dozen or so adults around, half-dozen kids playing various games, snacks, drinks, board games, friends.

In the middle of a conversation at the board where I'm playing (frankly, I don't remember the conversation, and isn't really important), my friend KO(S) who is playing at the other board turns and punches me on the shoulder 7-8 times. Not that hard, but firmly, and not a gentle mock-punch tap either. If we weren't both big sturdy people like we are, I might have interpreted it as actually hitting "with intent", but we've known each other for a while, neither she nor I are shy about things, and I don't take offense. The thing is, I'm not going to simply accept a half-dozen punches for no apparent reason. And I'm not going to go out and hire a mediator to resolve the conflict for us. We're both adults.

So in that moment I count the punches, turn and say "that was 7" and then audibly count out as I return the punches to her shoulder 7 times, in exactly the force which they were thrown at my arm. The room gets quiet. KO(S) pauses, and then hits me 8 more times. I count her punches out loud, and then turn back and give the exact same thing right back to her. At this point, the punching is over for the evening.

But that moment... the quiet. That's what's on my mind. Not because I doubted what I or she were doing, but how fucked up people's perceptions can be. So fucked up by bumper stickers and rhetoric that they are unable to judge for themselves what something is or isn't.

I'm curious about the silence happened when I threw a punch and not when she threw the first punch at me. Is it because "there's no excuse for violence against women"? It better not be. First: that statement is rhetoric that doesn't apply to this situation. Second: it wasn't violence. Third: I'm 6'3", about 210 lbs - she's 6', 200 lbs. We're similar size and neither of us was winding up... it was fairly clear the even if it was enthusiastic, it was "play fighting".

So again, I say - what is it about the shock of me punching her back? Why is it that her husband felt compelled to walk over and pretend-punch me in the face because of the perception that my response was wrong because the "assault" on me was from a woman?

It's because rhetoric has such a powerful hold over us. Market to us, sloganeer at us, poll us... we'll say back to you what you want us to say.

And ultimately, it's the lack of context. Thinking critically (and no, I don't mean a formal definition of "critical thinking", rather, a mundane, yet far more important one) matter all the time.

"Question Authority" ... oh really? Does that include the soapbox upon which the bumper sticker is metaphorically standing? "Love is never wrong" ? Are you so sure about that? Sometimes, love can be really wrong. Ask your local police department for a list of domestic violence responses.

"Well - that's not love, that's the confusion of a co-dependent abusive relationship."

"So, you mean just 'healthy' love then... are you putting any restrictions on that?"

"Naw... it's cool. 'Celebrate diversity' and all that..."

"Uhm... really? Do you really mean that?"

"Oh, sure, I'm down with alternative lifestyles. "


"Uh... well, ok."


Context matters. Don't assume that your assumptions are the same as everyone else's assumptions.

What is violence to you is not the same as what is violence to her. What love is to you is not the same what love is to him. Authority is only that which you accept (or cannot refuse). Bumper stickers will not guide you through your life on their own.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate bumper stickers, for many of the reasons that you mentioned. I do not understand why people feel the need to bumper sticker their car. In particular, the religion ones irk me. Does it really make people feel better or more holy to tell me that my Jew ass is going to hell since I don't believe in Jesus or that I can't "know peace" because I don't "know Jesus"? I also don't give a shit that someone thinks that we need to "save the baby humans", that if Mary was pro-choice we wouldn't have Christmas or that abortion is murrrrrrrrrrderr!1!1!!!!
I also don't give a fuck where WalDrug is.

Daye said...

Not even Shakespearean bumper stickers?? like this:

Thou art some fool, I am loath to beat thee.
-Taken from: Cymbeline


I think bumper stickers are silly attention seeking fun. I agree w/teacherpatti that BELIEVING one's bumper stickers is dangerous, but that is a different issue entirely.

Anonymous said...

I need an accurate tally of the punches thrown before I can weigh in on this.

... and punches me on the shoulder 7-8 times ...

... I'm not going to simply accept a half-dozen punches ...

... and say "that was 7" and then audibly count out as I return the punches to her shoulder 7 times, ...

Perhaps the silence reflected disagreement with your count. That is, perhaps people were thinking, "She hit him 9 times, so what's up with pretending it was only 7?? That's two punches unaccounted for ... I'm speechless with disbelief!"

Anonymous said...

Okay Daye, you got me! That is a cool ass bumper sticker :) :)

Zoe the Wonder Dog said...

But wait, Daye has a beer bumper sticker on her car. I do believe in beer! I believe! I believe!

Okay, but you want to hear my thoughts on violence and the actual interaction you describe (don't you think you should buy me a beer first?). Here's the big one: why didn't you ask your question then? If you are so convinced that gender shaped the perception of the exchange, why not put the crowd on the spot in the moment, before they can wriggle away? Methinks you missed a teachable moment :)

Disappointed in me yet? Sorry, you are not going to get me to defend the "no excuses" bumper sticker. I'm your friend Shady Gray, remember. If you want to experience the full effect of how this works in the arena of domestic violence, just ask me how I feel about the "battered woman's defense" sometime.

Oh, and btw, (lean in as I whisper a little secret) I think K likes you!

K____ and Biscodo sitting in a tree...

Unknown said...

Gee, Andy, I didn't realize you went in for the old eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth stuff. Punch for a punch, or should I say punches? What are you, seven years old? Same goes for her. Cut that shit out. Yeah, she shouldn't have done it but next time, USE YOUR WORDS, as I told my kids were they were little. Who do you think you are, Peter Pan? Grow the fuck up.

biscodo said...

HD -

The first 7-8: I don't know if I missed the first one or if I counted it. (It was out of the blue with the first round.)

"half-dozen": there's no word to describe a quantity between "a couple" and "a dozen" other than "a half-score", and I'm sure it was less than 10. I was rounding down to "half-dozen" for the sake of the having words instead of numbers.

"that was 7": in the count of 7-8, if I wasn't 100% certain, better to err on the side of restraint than to go overboard, eh?

In the end, I could have just said "... 7...", "... 7..." and "... 7...", but that makes for boring writing.

Hopefully you can forgive me this minor editorial license and don't consider it a fatal flaw in my reporting abilities (or counting abilities). Thanks for being a stickler for accuracy though. I'll strive for continuous improvement in this regard.

I'm kind of disappointed though. A half-dozen (er... yeah... 6... that's right, I'm sure of it) other people at the table, and not one of them has the gumption to speak up about the accounting error? To them I say: "Your silence will not protect you"... and other such out-of-context rhetorical generalisms appropriate for a bumper-sticker.

biscodo said...

"jules" -

Actually, I go for "have a meaningful conversation". You should read what the whole post is about. You're obviously focusing on one thing and just... not... getting it.

I'm wondering which of many possible "jules" you might be (if that's really who you are), but since you decided to post pseudo-anonymously and just spew, I'll just assume you're uninterested in actual conversation and are just another bullshit commenting troll like Karl.

If you know me, have something to say, or are interested in actual conversation, don't play the anonymous comment game. There's an email address at which you can write me. Otherwise, your comments are just more useless swill on teh intarwebs.

Tell you what, "jules"... you'll surely tell your kids whatever you want to. But if you're able to express a complete idea or say something that doesn't require tired cliches, maybe I'll be interested in what you have to say... until then, the only people that give a shit about your preach-able moment are your kids.

Unknown said...

You're so full of bullshit about this, Andy. I left before it happened so what I heard is secondhand. I heard you wrote a post about it and so I read it. The whole thing. You try to conflate your justification for punching her into some larger social comment about bumpersticker mentality. Wow. You're so fucking thoughtful. No one's ever had though such deep thoughts about bumpersticker mentality before.
So it never occurred to you that maybe the reason people seemed a little shocked is because the two of you were punching each other, not so playfully as you put it. From what I heard, people wondered where the fuck this was going to go. Y'know, like there was a fake fun/hostile edge to what you did. And maybe on her part to.
You sound worse than a kid. Wahh, she hit me first, so I hit her back and then sniff, sniff, she hit me back, so I hit her again. So punching is NOT a form of violence, it's just playing. Even if the punches are numerous and hard. Uh-huh. Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth. Why the hell didn't you just grab her arm and say, Hey, what the fuck are you doing? Seems like something a friend might do. I'm not in on the personal dynamics between you two, so maybe I'm missing something. But from what you yourself posted, I think you responded like an ass. And I think you know it and you're trying to pretend like it's really about the "shocked silence". I'm not trying to hide. This is Julie/Jules.

biscodo said...

Interesting... you "heard I wrote a post" and "left before it happened so what I heard is secondhand"... sounds like the gossip mill is running full-steam-ahead, and you seem to think you can dole out some sort of wisdom from above by proxy.

The post wasn't about KO(S). That was only a trigger illustrating something else. But we're way beyond that already.

You admitted, among other things, "I'm not in on the personal dynamics between you two" ... Seeing as how you and I have barely shared more than a 10 minute conversation and that you don't know a damn thing about me other than what you've heard secondhand, think about learning something before spouting your ill-informed crap. Flapping and squawking and dominating the conversations of your knitting buddies at the bar might work for you or them, but I'm unimpressed and uninterested.

If the post is so trivial to merit "wow. you're so fucking thoughtful" sarcasm, why are you even reading it? Just so you can preach some Old Testament? Frankly, I'm not interested. If you don't like it, don't read it. There are plenty of other blogs out there.

Maybe they'll take your "I heard it from so-and-so" and "from what I heard" that you turn into "I'm going to tell you what to do because I'm loud and brash and no one backtalks me" and actually care.

It's fairly clear your first comment was intended just to have a public comment flame war. That's fine, and I'll indulge you for now. But if all you have to say is "duhhh... eye for an eye is stooopid" and "wahhh, wahhh, you're such a baby - no, you're less than a baby," it's going to get tedious pretty quickly.

Anonymous said...

Not a real introspective guy, are you, Andy. So the brilliant point of that post that I'm so missing couldn't have been made without bringing up what happened but somehow it wasn't about that. It's really important for you to be seen as "right", isn't it? What did I say about the incident that was so ill-informed? Please enlighten me if you can bring yourself to lower yourself to my inferior level. You wrote about it yourself and described it pretty much as I heard it. You accuse me of not knowing you except for whatever I've heard about you. Well, likewise. You're real self shines through in your response. You gotta real mean streak in you towards women, don't you? You jeeringly tell me I'm listening to gossip but then you describe personality traits to me that you have no personal knowledge of. I squawk and I flap and I domineer. I guess I'm a hen, huh? I'm brash and loud. Hey, guess what Andy, I'll actually cop to some of that but at least I'm self-aware enough about myself to know it and try to be better about it. Since you felt so free to make your insulting opinion of me known, I feel emboldened enough to tell you that I've seen and heard enough of you to know that you are a tiresome, egotistical motormouth. So go ahead and insult me some more. Cuz that's all you got. And since I'm an atheist, I'm not preaching old testament, I'm accusing you of practicing it. Well, I guess you really showed Kate, didn't you? Was that your own form of wisdom that you were dispensing to her? And your "question" abut how her husband felt he had to fake punch you. That's hilarious. You got such big balls, why don't you ask him directly instead of sticking it in a lame ass post.

Shannon said...

whoa...so, i just wanted to add some comic relief. i saw a bumper sticker about a week ago that i absolutely loved. it said:

"just say no to sex with pro-lifer's!"

ha ha...

Shannon said...

oh, alright, dammit...just a few words; i cannot resist.

i was there that night and my perception was this:

kate hit andy playfully, although yes, a bit on the hard side.

andy hit kate back playfully, although yes, a bit on the hard side.

how many times and how many rounds i did not count, but the silence to me was just the silence of people looking on, simple as that.

as far as genderizing the whole thing and connecting it to all sorts of other things, and blogging about it, i think andy just has a tendency to "overthink" these types of things, in my most humble, peacful opinion.

as far as attacking someone in a blog and resorting to name calling, as i have done in the past, it never really accomplishes anything except a bunch of ill-hearted feelings.

i had to learn that lesson the hard way!