09 October 2008

Dolores Park (redux... er, re-dogs)

I hear that there are people out there, desperate to conceive children, but in their desperation and longing, they find themselves so obsessed with the idea that they can't help themselves. They make field trips of going to playgrounds, sitting on the sidelines, and watching other people's children play - fantasizing about how their own future children might play. How Janey or Johnny might be at 2 years, 4 years, 6 years old.

Well, I had a little taste of that craziness myself, out in SF. Emily and I were out and about for a coffee and then a sit-out-in-the-park in Dolores Park, and we spied two professional dog-walkers each with their dozen or so dogs in tow, out romping and playing in the park, all dogs of different shapes, sizes, personalities... none of them the same.

So we sat there and watched, each of us with our own personal fantasies about the perfect dog, neither us being able to exactly bring dogs into our respective lives. Me, I've got an apartment, no yard, but no roommates. She, in a relatively new town and with a house-full and relationship.

Wistful. Creepy. But pleasure in the fantasy, no doubt about that.

Mmm... puppies. Gotta get me a couple of those.

1 comment:

Ypsipearl said...

I know of a french bulldog that needs a home.