03 January 2009

that bacon thing sorta happened for me

No, not a grand revelation. Not a sudden overwhelming falling in love. Really, it was more of a falling out of love with bacon. Not that I was ever in it, per say.

It's just that I found out through adventures the other day... I thought I'd try my hand at making Candied Bacon, and what I found out is that it's just not as dreamy as one would think. I went for it a couple different ways, but in the end, even the best result (which ended up looking exactly beautiful like it does in the picture) was sticky and greasy at the same time, didn't develop a hard candy shell, and just was not really fulfilling expectations. And after it all, I has a bunch of bacon, and I really had no enthusiasm for it. It was there, salty and snacky, but I had no real connection to it. I ate it because it was there, not because I cared very much for it.

Sure, bacon is funny. And bacon mania has been sweeping the land. But I'm starting to fall into the bacon backlash category. It's just really not that big of a thing for me. I'm not going so far as to say that it's jumped the shark or anything, because there are plenty of fine people that have it as a part of their identity. But for me, I guess I've just... moved on.

It was there before me, it will be there after me, it doesn't need me to survive.

And this has nothing to do with the fact that I'm more curious about Zen-type stuff than Hindu-type stuff. Really, I swear.

2 comments:

Alexa said...

Sorry your bacon candy didn't turn out. Ours was sticky as well, but wrapped around an apple, it was wonderful. Don't give up on bacon yet, the craze is a bit weird, but there are lots of interesting and tasty dishes with bacon in them.

biscodo said...

well, thanks for the well wishes on bacon, but I just don't have much enthusiasm for it these days. It's just sort of passed on for me, at least for now.

From the titles of the blogs you keep Alexa, it seems you have quite the bacon blogging enthusiasm - if there wasn't some space weather in there, I might have thought you were someone from the pork lobby trying to keep customers from straying. But anyway, thanks for the thoughts, and best wishes in your baconology, developing baconista skills, bacophilia, or any other other sorts of adventures with pork products.