20 December 2008

HAL says...

HAL9000: "I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I can think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do." (Clarke, by way of Kubrick, by way of Quotegeek)

I punch the scrabble board into Quackle and ask it to analyze... apparently, it is pulling CPU resources across dimensional boundaries and unfolding space and time in the process. Either that, or Apple fucked up and doesn't know what 100% means. (oh wait... is this what they mean by "giving 110%"? Damn, that's some hard-working software)


And just... for the record for anyone I might be playing an online game of Scrabble with now or in the future, I swear (cross my heart and hope to endo) that I commit my play before I consult Quackle or anything else. Really, I swear. I just want to know what I'm missing. I can quit any time, I just like the taste.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahem, you have two CPUs, so the max is 200% load. This has been going on for a while. Try: 'man top'

biscodo said...

That's about the mostest retardedestest thing I can imagine. Are you saying that if I had a quad dual-core machine, I could have 800% of CPU capability?

The thing is, it says %CPU. If it's supposed to be % of CPU resources in use or %CPU(s), it should say so. Otherwise, the "%CPU" resources in use is 106.9/"200%" = 53.45%.

Windows doesn't have this problem. Bill & Co. know how to count, and even divide to calculate percentages when there's more than one processor. You've Mac-tagonized me in a period when Apple software and software written for Mac is particularly shit. When the answer to a "why is the obvious not presented obviously?" is buried at the 6th of 9 man pages, it's clear there's something wrong.

I regret the day I bought this laptop. Anyone want to trade with me for $2000 worth of 2006-era Wintel hardware? I'd gladly trade back in a fucking heartbeat.

... and don't call me 'Ahem'. I don't know anyone named Anonymous. No one gets to call me 'Ahem' except close personal friends.