05 April 2007

"there's no such thing as bad weather..."

".... there's only inappropriate attire." And guess what? My attire is particularly inappropriate for riding in this weather.

It was 60 degrees just a few days ago, so when my eyeballs saw this, I thought "bah, 33 degrees ain't so cold... I'll just layer up and tough it out. Besides, if I'm heading off to the trail, once I get in the trees it won't be so cold, will it?" Well, not noticing the wind gusting to 30 was a serious failure of attention on my part. From my hands to my waist, I was toasty. Even my head was warm. But my cheeks (all 4 of 'em), thighs, and toes were feeling tingly, chill, and numb, in that order. Oh yeah, and as soon as I dropped off the pavement and onto trail, two other bad things happened... (1) "ouch, that hurts" (2) [squish] goes the muck.

Looks like I won't be riding on dirt for a while - not only is wet, mucky, and erosion-ey spring here, but my shoulder still ain't feelin' right 95% of the day, I'm fine. But when I do certain things, it's clear I ain't 100% yet. Seeing as how my only bike for the dirt is hard nosed and hard tailed, blasting around on the bumpedy-bump is just gonna have to wait a while.

No comments: