26 October 2007

blech.

Crapola. I want to go to the IMBA Trail Care Crew class out in Grand Rapids this weekend, but my plans are foiled, more or less. Call 'em pseudo-foiled.

I was going to head out that way this afternoon/evening to ride some trails, then camp overnight somewhere local, and then show up at the class/presentation in the morning. Mostly, because riding is fun, camping is easy/cheap, and I don't like early morning wakeups. I figured I could be local and just stumble out of my tent to go to the thing. But since it's raining right now and a 70% chance of rain this afternoon/evening in GR, so me no ridey. Looks like I'm just gonna chuck the idea and just get up super-early and drive out there.

The one good thing about it is that in the search for a spot to pitch a tent, I learned that the State Forests in Michigan have a policy similar to Federal USFS/BLM land regarding dispersed camping - it's free, and as long as you abide by the rules, you can just plop down, pitch your tent, and sleep the sleep of the just. Keep in mind... State Forests are ok, not State Parks. Check out the rules here and here.
...
OK, so in the meantime since typing that, I read the rules. Since the Rules specify certain dates in State Game Areas that camping is forbidden, and not knowing where those might be, obviously, I had a bunch of questions (this isn't the first time I've pondered the survey boundaries of federal/state public land). So I called the State of Michigan. I pay my taxes, surely they would help me in my quest for information. Bouncing around trying to find the right answers, 45 minutes later, what I learn is this...

County plat maps.

Sure... the State and Federal agencies and governments have the Master Control over what is and what is not, but they don't publish map books. Somewhere deep in the bowels of the GIS system there is surely a way to display an accurate rendering of the land survey for State Forests. But Joey Taxpayer can't get at them easily. HOWEVER... if you know what county you're looking at, the county maintains records of plat ownership, so those should indicate boundaries, even if they don't hold administrative authority over the land.

So there it is.

One last thing... funny bits you didn't think were necessary (from the Rules document):

  (l) "Person" has the same meaning as defined in section 301 of 1994 PA 451, MCL 324.301
Apparently, not everyone has a clear understanding of what a "person" is.

(and no, I haven't looked up PA451. I'm done with gov'ment fo' the day.)

No comments: