28 May 2009

what to do with that

So I got a new phone and I'm migrating contact information from one to the other, which requires a certain amount of massaging of data, going through and cleaning it up so that it imports cleanly, and as I go through, the entry for my grandmother has to be cleaned up. But you see, that'd be my dead grandmother. So the question becomes... shouldn't I just delete it? I mean, it's not like I'm going to call her or anything.

It's like when I enter people's birthdays in my calendar - I punch it in, then hit the "repeat" feature, which then has a choice of "no end date" or "repeat until..." I my mind, I always run the imaginary dialog of "ok, well they're not immortal, so how long do I think they're going to live?" I never enter an end date, but still, it's like this tiny little bit of mortality entering into the silly virtual world.

1 comment:

Sean Hickey said...

Weird -- I had the same experience when I switched phones last Fall. It was an odd feeling to say the least.