11 June 2009

Veggie Pets

There's all this over-inflated hoo-ha these days about gardens, "urban farmers", and all sorts of fluffy notions about how planting plants in your garden will save your food bill, the planet, and the children all at once. Me, I planted some tomatos in a pot, and it's like they're little veggie pets. "Bob" (seen here) seems to be doing well, though I'm inclined to rename him "Seymour". "Chuck", his upside-down cousin does not yet seem to be as ambitious, but he might be angry about the rough handling while getting repotted in the inverted orientation..

I'll have to add though, that since transferring the kale to the bed with the ground cover, the slugs that have started eating it are, in effect, eating a pet, and thus essentially attacking a family member. If any of those slugs are reading this blog, let it be known that you've been warned. That kale is a friend of mine. You better back the hell off.

2 comments:

Dee said...

Coffee grounds kill slugs. Put them in your garden and take in the gooey wonderfulness of dead slugs.

biscodo said...

Well, I did a little of that, but I had much more satisfaction with, when catching them in the act, actually pouring salt on them. Evil fuckers, that'll teach 'em.

In the meantime, I've gone with pulling out more ground cover and clearing leaf litter to deny them cover (a la Agent Orange), and pouring a barrier of corn meal around the kale habitat, with the expectation of if they eat it, they'll either dehydrate, or swell up and die. I put some beer out in the dish today, but I had a hard time pouring perfectly good beer out just for slugs to drown in. I might have to buy some cheap beer if I actually go with that as a solution.

Unfortunately, ye olde beer solution is currently getting washed out by the rain. [sigh]