25 July 2006

GPS envy

OK, so I haven't been so good with the postings lately, but it just seems that when I'm having fun doing other things, it's the last thing on my mind. Speaking of which, I had an absolutely fun time in Minneapolis-St. Paul last week, and will definitely be going back there some time soon. I took a bunch of pictures, but haven't sorted them out, but will sort/post/whatever the good ones sometime soon...

Last night/this morning I chugged/crammed a book (if the metaphor is appropriate) : "It's Not About The Bike" is a very readable book about a pretty shitty time in Lance Armstrong's life. Of course, it's old... since then he won Le Tour 5 more times, had some more kids, got divorced, hooked up with Sheryl Crow, got engaged, split up, etc. Of course, now that he's retired, for the rest of his life he will probably have to be fighting with French tabloids over doping allegations, but maybe a few well-placed lawsuits can put that to bed. Anyway... good story (auto-biography). A little bit light and fluffy, but engaging enough to cram the whole thing down in less than a day.

Yesterday, I splurged on myself. I bought a Garmin Edge 305 GPS/HRM cyclecomputer. It is crazy/stupid with features and I'm fidgeting with it and playing with routes and "Virtual Partner" and stuff (you can ride a race on a GPS-specified route against the computer... how cool/dorky is that?) I should actually get out of the house and go for a ride at some point... expect to start seeing stupid self-obsessed heart-rate/elevation plots when I figure out how to do that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Be sure to check out MotionBased to analyze and map out your rides tracked by the Edge. You can easily integrate your rides into your blog as well in that MotionBased is a web service.