19 July 2006

On the road(rail) again

Heading back to Chicago, then Ann Arbor tomorrow/today/wednesday (it's late) - had quite a fun visit with Fred and Mona and the munchkins.
Got to see the new house (ok, the new-to-them-100-year-old house),
Got to explore Minneapolis-St. Paul a little (yes, it is way niftier than I would have expected. Honestly, I didn't know what to think, and so had neutral expectations. It's definitely way better than that. I would put MSP on my "to do again" list, for sure. Maybe a couple times.)
Learned a little somethin' about J. J. Hill and his house.
Got to see one of the more beautiful state capitol buildings (the congressional chambers ain't much to look at, but the rest of the building is fantastic)
The sculpture garden outside the Walker Art Center is damn good too. Definitely worth a visit if you can appreciate sculpture and aren't a nose-snubber about public art.

Anyway, more later. gotta get some sleep so that I can get up at 6:15 to be at the train station by 7:00 for a 7:50 train that, right now is 50 minutes behind schedule as it's traveling through North Dakota (one thing Amtrak does, if it can't get the train to be on time, is to at least have a webpage where you can see what the on-time status of the train is.). So yeah, I'm excited about getting up early in or to get to the train station so I can wait around.

No comments: