07 July 2006

son... of... a... bitch... (foiled by a blinky light)

So I'm here in Washington D.C., wandering around the capitol on a Friday evening, when after a number of miles on foot I realize that seeing the monuments by foot takes time and energy, and the sun is going down. However, taking pictures at night would be cool, and the town is VERY bikeable, and you can even take bike on the the Metro (subway). The thing is, I have my bike in my car back at the hotel in Bethesda (7-8 miles away), so I hop back on the Metro, scoot up to the hotel, and get my stuff. All ready to go, and I can't find my damn blinking red rear don't-hit-me-light (found the white front one though). It's 10:00pm, and it wouldn't be very smart to go out with a light. Tear through the car, the trunk, the bag of bike stuff, the bag of clothes up in the room, back out to the car, completely empty the trunk, call Gary to see if I left it at his place back in Nashua (not like that would help me ride, but it would help my state of mind).

Can't find the damn thing anywhere. Totally screwed up my ride. I LOVE riding around cities at night. Especially with all the goofy streets and monuments, the DC workers gone home for the weekend, most of the tourists tucked safe in bed. The more I thought about it, the more I was looking forward to it. I was so wound up about it, and to get screwed by a missing blinky light.... I better have left it in Ann Arbor (though I doubt it - I brought the front one, right?). I swear, when I find it, that fucking thing better have a good goddamn excuse why it's missing.

So no nighttime photos, unless I do some creative hanging around tomorrow night... but that might screw up my driving-home schedule.

No comments: