26 July 2006

rants

I was paying some bills the other day when for some reason I was surprised by the AT&T envelope... just something about it creeped me out.


There's something about in me that asks "and how would you know whether I deserve it or not?" Just for paying the bill that I owe money for?

Maybe I haven't done a damn thing to deserve a reward... and even if I do, what about the next person? Do they actually deserve it, or are we (American society) getting to accustomed to "Reward Entitlement"? Things like "I've had a hard day at the office, I deserve this ice cream cone..." How about just WANTING the ice cream, and taking ownership, pride, and responsbility - instead of depersonalising an external reward?

Yes, it's just an envelope, and yes, it's a tagline for a referral-reward program. But still... you know what I mean?
-------------------
And speaking of rants... a post on craigslist caught my eye, and put a good tagline on a perception I have been having over the years: "Zingerman's ("Good Food, Bad Service, Mercenary Prices")" as well as some other Ann Arbor things - like all the hullaballo over Google coming to Ann Arbor to set up an office for its AdWords department. Please tell me that it's not going to just be an office for selling advertising ('cause that doesn't count as "high tech")



No comments: