14 August 2006

planets and such...

I've been feeling a little out of contact with the daily news, so I dug in today to see what's going on... it appears that the planet Pluto might be getting the boot from the solar system (as a planet, that is...). There was the discovery of Sedna a few years ago, and though I initially thought the 12th Planet theorists would jump on it as proof (yes, some of the people I used to work with were... well... 12th Planet "enthusiasts" would be the nicest word I can come up with), it appears the 12,000 year orbit might not be the right one. Ah well, I guess the pseudoastronomers will just have to keep on searching. In the meantime, it'll be interesting to see what happens with Pluto - if the newly discovered 2003 UB313 is accepted as a planet (or Pluto gets dropped), there sure will be a lot of textbooks and solar system models needing updates.

No comments: