25 May 2006

Leaving Chambana (Elvis edition)

I left Champaign-Urbana yesterday to go hang out at Laura and Juan's house in ChicagoLand before Allison's wedding.

LittleBoyBuddha (LBB) and MonsterGirl (MG)
















are growing up pretty quick these days... I had one of those "oh, crap... they've been actually listening all this time - I better watch my language" moments yesterday. We went to the park to play, and made our way over to the lants and flowers, and MonsterGirl was looking at some purple flowers, with a dandelion in her hand, looking back and forth. So I'm thinking I'll share some color information with her, saying "this one's a purple flower... sorry, I don't know the taxonmy of this particular genus and species" and she immediately says "puh-puh"

whoooah... did she just learn a word? Right there in front of me? It was a pretty remarkable moment. Then of course, in telling the story, I learn that she has known purple and blue for a little while, so my bubble got a little popped there. It was a cool moment while it lasted though.
-------
One thing I for sure miss about the Illinois farmland is the wide open skies... In Michigan, the only sky that you can see is the part right above your head. On the Prairie, it's all around you.














(Curses to stupid Mac software - crappy iPhoto can't stitch photos together for the panoramic view, but there's link to the full-sized photos)
---------
Thanks a whole bunch to Matthew and Sandra (and the dogs and cats) for putting me up... and of course, for putting up with me too. I had a way fun-time Visiting On the Prairie. I swear, the weather was frickin' fantabulous, went on some good rides, and I set some "personal bests" for my ability to lounge around and be a lump on the couch.

Chambana - the more it changes, the more it stays the same. Luckily, they haven't gotten rid of some of my favorite "plop art" over by the School of Art and Design:







































Oh yeah, and my heinous sandal sunburn is getting much better (I know how concerned you were for me). I'm glad that I can put on shoes and socks without having to think about it first.

No comments: