30 May 2006

nice, but Creepy nice

I got a card in the mail today... not a postcard, the single-fold kind... a card from my credit union. Now this is no regular sort of credit union for me, since it's not even in Michigan - but it's an account that I've left open (with a balance of $32) for the past 10-12 years. I had assumed for years that they would assume the account to be abandoned, and would surrender it to the state. At least, that's what Dad always said would happen (I forget the word he used, but he's a retired accountant, and there's a special accounting/banking word describing the surrender of abandoned accounts).

(A week or so ago while I was in town, I decided that, since credit unions are a cooperative community venture, the cost of sending me all those statements all those years was really just draining the community coffer, and not giving any opportunity to provide loans to others. So, I walked into the branch, wrote a check, and transferred some money into that account.)

... so I pick up my mail, accumulated over the past few weeks, and in among the bills and the junk mail is a card. And that card, hand-written I might add, is essentially a thank-you note for making a deposit: "Thank you for your support, members like you are critical to the success of the credit union!"

If that's not a little creepy, I don't know... maybe I'm just not used to getting personal notes from my financial institutions...

No comments: