11 June 2006

Beaver crossing

Today is... an absolutely perfect day out (70 degrees, sunny, blue skies and puffy clouds), and I have no idea why I'm at a keyboard. Half and hour ago, hearing bird calls outside my window reminded me of "Secret Park". Of course, to the Wastenaw County Parks and Recreation Commission, it's surely no secret. It was to me though, the first time I was walking through the neighborhood and saw the hole in a fence and the trail beyond it. So today, I figured I'd go out exploring.

Lo and behold while riding along the trails in County Farm Park, I was rewarded. I swear I saw a beaver crossing the trail in front of me. A beaver is a pretty odd animal to unexpectedly see, but I can't imagine what else it would have been... stout body, spiky hair, pudgy nose... seemed like a beaver at the time. Of course, even if it weren't an actual beaver, it nevertheless led me to learn interesting things like that fact that, along with defining the value of Pi=3, the church has declared that the beaver is a fish, and thus ok to eat during Lent. (not that I'm going to be grilling any beaver steaks any time soon, nor fasting for Lent, for that matter)

No comments: