06 June 2006

Corner Brewery

Been away (blog-wise) for a while, and in the intervening time, a new brewpub has cropped up in the Ann Arbor/Ypsi area... Corner Brewery recently opened in Ypsilanti... an offshoot of Arbor Brewing Company (which, if you ask me, is a hallowed local landmark). There's Grizzly Peak, which has respectable brews, but for some reason doesn't have a damn website... everything I find google-wise only point to their corporate headquarters, which explains the difference you feel between the two pubs. ABC is is locally owned and operated, and GP is cog in a larger organization. Something to be said for each approach to running a business, I'm not going to pass judgement. They both make good brews, but when I'm in the mood for local-ness or I'm just looking for good beer, I go to ABC. When my needs are food-ish, I can't resist the temptation of those polenta fries they have at GP. (used to be the garlic fries at ABC, but they've been kind of chintsy with the garlic lately, and those polenta fries really hit the spot).

So anyway, ABC opened up a brewpub in Ypsi, and I decided to go for a glass or two. Honestly, I'll say that I commend ABC for their beers, and am glad to support them (my beer motto: Think Globally, Drink Locally - Support Your Local Brewmaster) because I like the place, but the Corner Brewery needs a bit of work. I know there's something to be said for the honest, down home, "rustic" look, but CB really needs some help on the interior. My hope is that they rushed the opening and skimped on the interior decorating in favor of getting the doors open, but that they will come back to the interior later... I'll for sure be checking in occasionally (ABC downtown AA is closer for me, so a "regular" brewpub visit would still be at ABC) Oddly, there's a rumor of GP opening up a place in Ypsi, but who knows how real that is.

Matt and Renee, if you're reading this: I have had many a pleasant pint over the past 10 years and would gladly recommend ABC to anyone I know. But about the new place... if there's only a munchie-menu, the paint is peeling off the windows, and the brick work looks like it's desperately in need of a scrubbing/sandblasting, why would I go there? I guess there's the geography of going to Ypsi vs. Ann Arbor and serving the Ypsi market, but since I'm in Ann Arbor, I can't think of a reason to travel for a pint when Washington St. is so close.

No comments: