14 June 2006

openess?

From the book club selection for the month _The Prince of Tides_, a conversation between Tom and his sister's psychiatrist:
----------------
"Every time you say something personal, Tom," she said, "it seems as though you're putting more distance between us. Thee are time you seem very open, but it's a false openness."
"I'm an American male, Lowenstein," I said, smiling. "It's not my job to be open."
"What exactly is the American male's job?" she asked.
"To be maddening. To be unreadable, controlling, bull-headed, and insensitive," I said.
----------------
There's something in there that speaks some truth about the American male experience, whether it be in the boardroom, on the factory floor, or at the NASCAR race. I doubt I can put it into words properly very well, so I'll just leave it with the quote.

No comments: