29 June 2006

beneath the Granite State

Having arrived in Nashua, NH late, late, late last night (more on that later) I didn't originally see the road very well in the dark. But now during the day, I find that Nashua has triangular manhole covers. Triangular? Yes, indeed.

Whenever I hear/read/whatever that manholes are round because that's the only shape that you can make a lid out of that cannot fall through the hole (you know, if you turned a square cover diagonally, you could drop it through), the voice in the back of my head screams "NO you idiot! Triangles are the other shape that won't fall through!" I've wondered why no one does triangles, but it appears that they do. (Of course, the reason they probably aren't in wider-spread use is because it takes more iron to cover a given-sized pipe diameter... but anyway, I feel redeemed in the "doesn't fall through the hole" department)

No comments: