04 March 2007

Death Ride, to be a 4, etc: a plan for 2007

In the interest of committing to something simply by the act of saying it, writing it down - here it is, a plan for the bike for 2007

It starts with a single event: the California Death Ride. 125 miles, 15,000 ft climbing 5 mountain passes. Hurrah. If Fred's thoughts on it aren't just manly bluster, there's a suggestion of doing it back-to-back the Sunday after... for a 250 mile 30,000 ft 10 pass weekend. That'd be pretty wacky. And along the way to that are the "training" events - Godzulla and some sort of cabin-camping, riding, training camp week long thingie in Wisconsin.

So those are the events - but the year long project-to-be (and I'm going out on a limb here) is to get licensed, and after doing time in races over the summer, get myself from a Cat 5 to a Cat 4. I've been in a few races over the years, I'm a competitive kind of guy, and so the only real challenge here (aside from those silly details like intentional instead of incidental fitness, skill refreshing, and staying away from crashfests in the 5 races) is getting organized and following the calendar I make for myself.

OK, there it is. The plan for 2007. Not much detail, but some high points to hit. Along the way I'll work on how it's shaped on a finer scale.

No comments: