25 November 2006

Everything I Really Need To Know I Learned In A Pool Hall

I've got a cue in my hands again these days, and as I get comfortable at the table, I always have to go through the range of old memories, thoughts and such to get back into the groove, the right mind-set. It's a periodic thing where the first few times reminds me of all the other times and I need to dispel, among other things: days of presumed arrogance, the ghosts of pool people I've known but who've disappeared from my life (Erin, Johnny, other random hauntings...), depressing losses at the table, and failures ignored by wasting time in a hall. And every time I come back to the table after taking time off, I have to dust off these old memories. Run through them one more time as I warm my mind up back into the roll of things. Before I can start to make progress again, I have to go through and remember where I've been before. Only after that am I able stop reminiscing so much and start making balls and winning games.

All this, just to bring you to one idea that I swear I'm going to actually do some day. Along the lines of the famous book, I will bring you Everything I Really Need To Know I Learned In A Pool Hall - microcosms representing real-life lessons. Concepts to be explored:

  • You must be present in the moment
    • There is no past or future, there is no escape - you must deal with what is here right in front of you
  • You cannot deny the Reality of Things
    • If the shot is not going to get past the corner of the side pocket, it's not going to go - wishing it won't make it happen, and ignoring reality leads to harsh reality-checks.
    • Likewise, ignoring bad credit/obesity and spending like a moron/eating like a glutton, while wishing for a miracle fix won't improve your credit/waistline.
  • Nothing matters, only Results
    • "There is no second place, only the first loser"
    • In a complex situation, context matters - who cares about the battle... Win the War.
  • Everything matters, not just Results
    • Complexity? Contradictions? Puzzles? Deception? Yes, there are, and the fool ignores them at their peril.
  • Keep Your Eyes on the Prize
    • Ignore your regard for your opponent's appearance. Whether they be suave high-roller or greasy redneck, you never know when someone might be putting on airs or laying low.
    • Don't be lulled into a false sense of security. Do what you came to do.

No comments: