29 November 2006

the problem, as I see it

Today was yet another disappointing sandwich at Zingerman's. I'm pretty far up on my high horse, and this is the last time I will rant about it. But I'm going all-out, with graphic assistance and everything.

Zingerman's Deli, as I've heard it described: "good food, mediocre service, mercenary prices" has a problem in their sandwich department. For the past 10 years, as the prices have increased 40% (the $13 sandwich of today is exactly the same as what you used to get for $9), they STILL can't get sandwich assembly right.

Take Exhibit #1:


Sure, the ingredients are tasty, but the softball-shaped blob of meat in the middle of the sandwich? It's impossible to manage without it sliding out the maw of the bread with the coleslaw or mayo or mustard greasing the way. Needless to say, that after negotiating this sliced-meat speedbump, you're left with plenty of meatless bread.

Not only the flavor, but the texture of the sandwich is uneven. When you have a ham and cheese, do you want a bite of ham and then a bite of cheese? No. You want a bite of ham AND cheese at the same time. And before you respond "oh, you're just being picky... quit whining and just enjoy the food" - well, with the hype that Zingerman's puts out there, and the ridiculous prices they are charging, one would reasonably expect to get an Exceptional Sandwich, not an exercise in aggravation.

Are you hearing this Ari? Probably not. Chances are that you don't give a shit because you're too busy stacking up all the cash you're making off of these disappointments of meat on bread. When you can fix "the sandwich problem" I'll come back, but until then, you've lost my business.

5 comments:

Zoe the Wonder Dog said...

Okay, I just gotta ask... did you actually talk to anyone at Zingerman's and let them fix it? I'm pretty sure Ari isn't reading your blog...

I've had similar issues - bread sliced so thin that it essentially dissolved once in contact with sandwich contents. Anyway, I let this pass one time (quietly grumbling, of course) but the next time was my birthday and I was downright pissy... I told the staff of my disappointment (keeping my pissiness in check and not playing the "but it is my birthday" card) and they made me glorious new sandwich.

Zoe the Wonder Dog said...

So where are you going to get supplies for our date with cheese? Remember, I like old and salty... think aged gouda... love cheese with the crunchy bits in it... Willing to try others... I'll bring the bread since you have sworn yourself off Z's and the wine.

biscodo said...

Yeah, I thought about it at the time, but from my experience in taking flak from pissed-off customers, I kind of know what the natural response would be: "oh sir, yes, that's a terrible sandwich, you're completely right, we'll make you another one. In fact, I'm so sorry that I'll refund your money, give you a better sandwich, and throw in dessert for free."

The thing is, I don't want them to correct THAT sandwich. I know that the sandwich in 2006 was made by an employee that probably didn't make any of the other oddly-similar disappointing 2005, 2004, 2003, etc sandwiches. So critiquing that one event isn't that effective. It seems that it's a cultural afflication at Zingerman's. How do you fix the sandwich-making culture?

biscodo said...

I'll admit - my opinion has mellowed over the week, and I DO think that they make breads that are superior to anything you can get around these parts (and not as ridiculous in the price you pay for the higher quality). So I'm not swearing off the Z totally, I'm just disgruntled about the sammich.

As far as cheeses go - there's always Morgan & York, Whole Foods... plenty of other quality cheese-mongers around town.

Wine? heh. I haven't sworn myself off it, I just have no idea what's good. I know that there's some that when I taste them I like them (and those that I don't, too), but I can never remember which are the styles, regions, years they are, and what kinds of food they "go with" when having them with a meal. I realize I shouldn't be intimidated by the variety available, but I just choose to abdicate choice. I'm happy to drink it, as long as someone else picks it (hint, hint). Besides, after the 2nd or 3rd glass, I get much less picky about what kind of wine it is anyway.

Zoe the Wonder Dog said...

Okay, sweets, you start the revolution... Huzza!

In the meantime, I'll take care of the wine... Just bought a mixed case today, so I happen to have lots to taste at the moment.

I prefer old, big, chocolate-y, peppery reds, particularly old vine zins. If you want bright, fresh, and fruity reds, let me know and I can accommodate (but I rarely have these on hand).

If you want to drink whites, you better head back to the bar and pick up another chick, 'cuz I don't do whites.