20 January 2007

fire & pancakes

Last night I went to see a couple shows with G, and while it's been a pretty good run so far for bands seen over the past few weeks, I'll have to say that last night was... well, they just didn't have that spark that would last 'til the lights came on. Could've been cool. There was Hullabaloo (ska) at TC's a couple doors down from Fire Fabulon (fire performance art?) at The Elbow Room.

As far as Fire Fabulon goes, I'll just pat myself on the back for my prediction... either it'll be incredibly cool and well done, or it'll be over-hyped and pretentious, reminding us all of bad melodramatic poetry we wrote and then performed in high school at open mic night while wearing a beret and smoking Gauloises only days after our minds "like, were blown wide open, man" by reading Kafka. (hint: it was the latter) So yeah, I'm not a Burner, but apparently Fire Fabulon is. If it's typical of Burners, then I'm not missing much. The me-and-all-my-friends-are-so-freakish-and-cool-I-could-shit-myself Lollapalooza-esque mastubation fest. Don't get me wrong, I'm fond of freakish and masturbation, but play-freakish doesn't do much for me. And masturbation? When the only thing being stroked on stage is the group ego and if it cost money to get in the door, that kind of ego masturbation doesn't do much for me either. Add two things to that: The Elbow Room last night was one of the smokiest bars I've been to in a really long time. Add to that the fire performance, and the smoke/fumes coming off the diesel (or kerosene, or whatever), and my eyes started burning right after I walked past the doorman. Burnin' somethin' powerful.

Moseyed back to Hullabaloo after a while, which was far better. Unfortunately, they weren't as fun as Back Forty last week (which, though I've never been interested by bluegrass/funkgrass before, is my favorite new band). For some reason, the tired/sleepy impulse became powerful, and the fresh air/snacks impulse became even more powerful. Onward to home, and I really meant to make late night snacks (even went so far as to put a pita in the microwave to warm up)... but I got distracted. Needless to say I woke up this morning with a powerful hunger, so I made myself some pancakes. 9 of 'em. Talk about hittin' the spot with a pancake...

No comments: