04 January 2007

just a thing or two I like

... that I happen to have photos of.

When buildings touch and flow into each other. So close, but so different. With nary an inch between, all the way up to the top. Neighbors leaning on each other, the mating surface making them stand stronger than either would be by itself. Neighbors for as long as they live, so they had better be good neighbors to each other. Seamless, but not. Is this wall yours, or is it mine?


And I don't know why this strikes me, but over the holidays I noticed that my parents have in their bathroom cabinet dental floss from... 1965? It puzzles and intrigues me. It's not like they're keeping an archive of floss... but there's another one in the cabinet, and from maybe 10 years later than this one.

It hearkens from that era when phones were made of bakelite and the notion of "Colonel Mustard, in the library, with a phone" was possible. Can you imagine a murder mystery where someone got bashed to death with a modern cell phone? OK, maybe not by being bashed with it, but maybe by death by accidental inhalation.

Anyway, I don't want to tell them or ask them about this, 'cause I think it's kind of cute that they have 30-40 year old dental floss in their cabinet. Sure, there are fresher rolls of floss in there, and I do hope they are using those instead. But aside from the weirdness of displaying it as a museum piece out on a shelf, why else would they keep these in the cabinet if they didn't mean to use it on their teeth?

No comments: