04 January 2007

some of the things I like about the town I live in

I don't know who put this up, but I know I like living in the same city where people do things like this.

Subtle, yet permanent. Nothing you would notice unless your eyes were open, head up, and you are able to walk without having to compulsively talk on the phone.

And for Ann Arborites who might bemoan the loss of ash trees (the City is euthanizing trees in order to try to control the spead of the Emerald Ash Borer)...

In case you didn't know, there seems to be something of a project to create public sculpture from the trunks of dead trees. It's sad to see in The Arb that part of protecting trees involves cutting some down to save others, but at least it's not a total loss.

On the other hand, I'm a little concerned about the sculpture carving in progress near my neighborhood... it kind of looks like something with wings, and I surely hope that it's an eagle or bird of some sort.


PLEASE let it not be some sort of cheesy angel crap. There's enough pseudo-sentiment for supernatural bullshit, I don't need a totem of it shoved in my face any more than it already is. Makes me wonder whether it's city-sponsored activity and whether I can make a state-church seperation argument... And if not, can make an "aesthetically offensive to me with its cheesiness" argument?

No comments: