07 December 2006

maps-n-stuff

I confess - I dig maps. I dig visualization tools. I really dig cool maps. And GIS? Well that just gives me a full-on-chubby. Representing data spatially is just flat out cool (that's really what a map is anyway, no? the abstract representation of relevant space and information, while hiding irrelevant spaces and information.)

So though I haven't done much work on my map of "additions to stop signs" lately, I'm re-inspired by a art/engineering project called Blue Puddle that just happens to be based here in Ann Arbor. Check out the outdoor electricity map and "making-of" video. Something that Zack makes a good point about: "part of the fun of this is just going out there and seeing your city in a way that you don't usually get to see it." How true.

No comments: