16 December 2006

Spelt

What is it about spelt bread these days? I seem to be seeing it overflowing the bread shelves in quality food stores, and so I got some. Pretty crappy bread, if'n ya ask me, which you didn't, but whatever. Weak texture, no crust, non-existent flavor (puhleaze don't tell me "oh, it's *subtle* flavor you have to appreciate"), and not exactly very sturdy, either. The stuff I got falls apart easier than the Great Harvest crap-bread (that I don't like either). Makes crappy grilled cheese, that's for certain, too.

Must be another one of those "wonder plants" like hemp that is supposedly the cure for all our ills from acne to global warming, but really isn't that remarkable of a raw material unless you're making rope or smokin' up. Shee-it... even Zingerman's can get bread right... now if only their bread didn't harden up before I can finish what I bought.

No comments: